SUBJ: Those bastards did it...

Today's post includes guest writing from Nik Proxima - find them on twitter here!

Nov 16, 2012

So they've done it, they've doomed us all to never make a spaceship again. HQ picked SNC's proposal, so we've got our ticket to tell the Russians to get lost. Shame about the kick in the teeth to the Orion team.

It's a lifting body though, I don't think they're gonna like that when they're fishing our corps out of the Atlantic.

Talk soon,

Neil


Nov 16, 2012

Taking a look at the details....sure is a weird one. Looks a lot like the CRV we built here before they tossed it out with Core Complete. Interested to know if Johnson's planning to hand any of that work to the Sierra folks....they'd probably appreciate some pointers :)

Still don't quite get logic for pulling that out of the dustbin. Backup makes some sense, lots of talk about "dissimilar redundancy..." I think I'd want "SIMILAR" redundancy. Match what CEV does if it stands down (Or...the opposite seems likely. Don't think I'd want to try my luck in the "Private Taxi" ...)

Agree the Orion folks probably feel second rate about now.

Take it easy,

Mitch


Nov 17, 2012

Give it time, we'll be buying suits at this rate.

The wings feel too stubby for TAA - I'd wonder if they considered that during PDR. Hell, boys at HQ sure seem happy with their new model, maybe they can get us something good out of it eventually. I sent Chuck down at Johnson a letter about handing off data, he's tight lipped so I guess we'll wait for NTRS in god knows how many years.

I'd hate to be stuck in that thing on an L1 mission - Orion is a good ship that deserves a good counterpart.

Been a long time since we've had a drink at Rusty's - if and when they fly this thing, we'll have to try and get together.

All the best,

Neil


Nov 18, 2012

If we're thinking of the same Chuck, you might have better luck mailing the president... !

I think you're right about TAA, aborts might've been why CRV for crew launch went nowhere. Sierra has their work cut out for them for sure. From what I hear they only want this for station flight... I don't guess HQ is in any hurry to replace Orion for EMs. Good on them, I think "baby steps" if we're doing commercial crew. Feels a bit like an ankleweight though.

Will definitely take you up on Rusty's.....I'll buy the gator bites this time :)

Take care,

Mitch


Nov 20, 2012

Heard back from some HQ folks today about oversight. It's a mixed bag.

They're calling it supervised, but a lot of it seems to be hands off. I don't like it - how are they supposed to build and fly a good vehicle without full workplace absorption? What if something slips through the cracks? I don't like it - something about it rubs me the wrong way.

I'm glad to hear this won't dethrone Orion anytime soon, but god help me if Station Scheduling gets caught up in all of this, we're all SOL. Getting equipment up to Hubble was one thing with the Shuttle, but this is a whole different story.

Speak to ya soon,

Neil


Nov 21, 2012

Would love to see the contract language here.... Agree NASA side needs teeth. I can "supervise" the renovations they're doing on campus... doesn't mean they'll listen to me :)

Expect we'll at least see hefty "checks and balances" from govt side. I'm sure Human Rating among other things imposes pretty tight standards for the end product.

I do think there's something fishy about "trading" back and forth between CEV and Private. You're right on the money re: scheduling.... Shuttle sure goes when she wants to, and god knows we've had some headaches pushing Progress around after scrubs, let alone the whole thing standing down. Already looking at a "gap" before Orion starts going..... let's just hope we don't dig ourselves a second one.

Definitely a bold move all told... Think we'll both have to wait and see where it goes :)

Always good to hear your thoughts.

Mitch


Nov 23, 2012

Sorry for the late reply, I had my daughter and her friends with us for Thanksgiving. College never seems to get any easier on a parent, does it :)

This has been keeping me up at night. If CEV has to fill in for a mission, it'll be a nightmare. Losing a vehicle, or god forbid a crew, means we could miss a window or lose access to something. I don't like this compromise. Hardware sitting around with nothing to do is a perfect target for budget cuts, congressional grilling and more. Let's hope we give the most amount of oversight we can.

SNC seems like a good choice, there were some options in there that I wasn't too pleased with. Sure, SpaceX and Orbital can handle cargo, but crew is a whole different ballgame. At least SNC is building from the ground up with a crew in mind. I'm sure I'll keep tossing and turning. 

All my best,

Neil


SP-NO23-24

Comments